Book 1 Post 1

 

For my first book, I have chosen to read American Like Me by America Ferrera. I chose this book because the summary intrigued me the most out of all the other Autobiographical Memoirs. The summary of the book was described as a girl and her experience of growing up in America with immigrant parents. I related to the short summary instantly as l grew up between cultures as well. I was born and raised in America like Ferrera, but I have Persian immigrant parents which is why I knew I would really enjoy reading this book. 



 American Like Me is a series of essays about what it means to live in America from a range of different people who are either immigrants or children of immigrants. Although I am only 100 pages in, from what I have read so far, the book seems to really celebrate Multiculturism in the United States. Each person that tells their story in this book, comes from very different backgrounds. I even recognize a few of the names such as Uzo Aduba from Orange is the New Black, which is really neat. Some of the stories are very lighthearted, while others are quite intense. The stories told have been quite relatable to me, as I understand what it is like to have foreign parents, while having my own Americanized identity. So far, I have really enjoyed reading this book and I am excited to read more.


Comments

  1. Hi Noor! It's cool that you are able to see parallels between your own experiences and some of the authors. Which chapters have been your favourite so far?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

World We Imagine Post 1