Noor's Final Job Description

Marketing Intern

 

 

What’s a girl who strives to work in the beauty industry doing at the Marshall School of Business? A question that my mother asks me quite frequently, that I don’t have all the answers to. Although I am still figuring out the answers to that question, this summer I was a marketing intern for the Estee Lauder Companies. Specifically, for Too Faced Cosmetics on the Influencer/Events Team.  

 

A Marketing Intern for a beauty company is a person who researches concepts for future promos, presents new event ideas, helps create social media posts, and overall increases the spread of brand awareness. Pretty much we spend most of our time discovering the trendiest and most popular things that appeal to the target audience. My target audience is influencers which means I focus on launch events, social media posts, PR packages, and products. This might be confusing or seem like a joke to some people, but let me give some more description.

 

There are three words that help to sum up the duties of a marketing intern:

·      Researcher 

·      Planner  

·      Creator 

I’ll describe these using examples of what I do on a typical day.

 

Researcher 

The work of a researcher occurs in these ways: 

·      Monitors trends 

·      Collects Data 

·      Understands target markets 

 

In the beauty industry, things move fast. Trends are always in and out. Social media apps such as Tik Tok, Instagram, and snapchat influence these trends. Influencers post certain products and they go viral and sell out immediately. For example, Addison Rae posted a video of her new lip oil two months ago and it’s been sold out at Sephora ever since she posted it. This means as a marketing intern, I have to keep up with all these trends and constantly collect data of what my target market wants. 

 

Planner

As a marketing intern, we are working on multiple projects at once and it is important that we plan everything out to stay organized. We accomplish that by doing these three things: 

·      Using our time productively and efficiently 

·      Create to-do lists and use an agenda 

·      Focus on one task at a time 

 

Working on multiple projects at the same time can get extremely hectic and it’s easy to get unorganized. It is important to use to-do lists and use agendas to spread out your work and to stay on top of due dates. There were times over the summer where I was planning three influencer events in the same week. In order to not confuse dates and mix up vendors, I dedicated certain hours to plan each event. Focusing on one task at a time increases productivity and helps avoid mistakes. 

 

Creator

The last role of a Marketing Intern is being a creator. Being a creator consists of these things: 

·      Creating future promos 

·      Making social media posts 

·      Study competition 

This is a very important aspect of the job. Creating content and publishing it is a huge part of marketing. It creates awareness which leads to conversations and sales. Social media posts and advertisements allows for the company to connect with their customers directly. As a marketing intern, it is important that I study our competing beauty brands and make sure that our company has the most appealing content. For example, Benefit Cosmetics is one of our biggest competitors. However, as of right now we have a way bigger following than them on TikTok because we create and post content more frequently than them.

 

Comparisons 

People don’t see the actual behind the scenes of a marketer. It’s like being a YouTuber. No one can see that it took an hour to shoot and a few hours to edit the video. Viewers just click on the video and enjoy it, but the reality is that the content creator spent at least an hour on it. 

 

 

Passive sentences: 3%

Reading Ease: 63.7

Grade Level: 8.5




 

Comments

  1. Noor, this was an easy way to digest what you did at Estee Lauder. The mixed use of bullets and small paragraphs really made it fluid. Not to mention how fun the job sounds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Noor, great descriptions about what you did at Estee Lauder. I'm unfamiliar with the fashion industry so it was great to read your easily digestible bullet points and paragraphs. I was wondering if you were ever planning on ever owning your own cosmetics or PR agency? Or if you see yourself working behind the scenes helping beauty brands become successful?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Noor! Loved reading your job description and learning what goes on behind the scenes at Too Faced. I always knew the beauty industry was fast-paced but never realised how hard it must be to stay on top of all of those trends! Do you think you will want to return to one of the Estee Lauder companies after you graduate? Seems like a great parent company to work for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome job, Noor! This was really interesting for me to read since I use Too Faced makeup products every day. I never realized how important influencers are to makeup brands so I think it's really cool how much of an impact social media platforms/brands who use influencers have now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Noor, nice post! Very informative and I definitely know a lot more about the role now than I did before. The descriptions give me a good idea of your day to day and help address some common preconceived notions about the role. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Noor! I really loved reading your job description. It sounds like there were a lot or similarities in our internships. It was a very easy read and I enjoyed hearing about all the tasks you had. It was fun comparing what we both did as marketing interns working in influencer relations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Noor, really enjoyed learning about what you did this summer. The beauty industry is so big and fast paced, and I thought you did a great job of bringing context and examples to explain what it was like being a part of it. Great work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

World We Imagine Post 1